Tuesday 13 July 2010

Where in the World am I?

Cambridge. England.

Though it seems these days I'm hoping around. The list of places I've slept in the last week.

Los Altos, California. (Home)
Somewhere in the air. (Airplane)
Broad Chalke, England. (Friend Sophie's parent's house)
London, England. (Cousin Nikhil's place)
Cambridge, England. (Where I am now.)

And the road trip hasn't actually begun yet. That should be happening tomorrow if all gets sorted out today. So far have had the pleasure of meeting a variety of folks and doing something unusual for me when traveling - wandering. Spent most of this time in London on foot as opposed to underground, and as a result have a better geographic understanding, got to do more people watching, and I've acquired some blisters to show for it. Rather than aiming to see everything and go everywhere, I'm testing the go slowly on foot method. The wander around the block and see flowers, crowds, and whatever random exhibits are one day only things that happen to be in my path. (Waltzing in Trafalgar Square for example and also a video exhibit later the same day) This approach means on one hand I don't start the day as excited for what's on the agenda because there isn't necessarily one, but I'm also less disappointed because of things I couldn't do. Also still managed to get a lot done/seen...

Review of the days in a nutshell

Tues - Left California... Started by finishing packing, getting my Russian visa, going to the bank, grabbing lunch, and heading to the airport. Then the flight...

Wed - Arrive midday in London, meet Sophie, check out the car in Croydon, go down to Broad Chalke to stay with her parents.

Thurs - Take the train into London, wander about, get lost many times, check out many parks, Waltzing in Trafalgar Square, wandering around Regent's Street, Oxford Street, get a phone, see a tutorial on Final Cut Pro at the apple store, check out film thing in Trafalgar Square, train back to Salisbury finishing my book on the way (Blink), return to Broad Chalke.

Fri - Spent all day in Broad Chalke. Sleep in to make up for some of the jet lag, read a bit of the novel I'd bought the day before (The Gun Seller), hung out with Sophie's parents John and Sharron, and their friends Val and Lee for dinner and drinks. Lively conversation about the difference between US and UK educational systems, politics and our thoughts on different models...

Sat - Took the train up to London with all my stuff, met up with my cousin Nikhil, dropped my stuff off at his place, walked through Regent's park to get lost before going to Belsize park, met up with my friend Trevor from UCSB then Greg from Stanford, before meeting Greg's friends Ezra and David. Had a lovely dinner with those four before Trevor had to leave to meet another friend, so Greg, Ezra, David and I took a walk through Primrose Hill, Regent's park and then down to SoHo. Went to Tesco, grabbed some drink making supplies so we could make Pimm's and Lemonade. Enjoyed drinks and conversation at David and Ezra's place in Soho. Eventually Greg and I left to check out the bar/club scene which lead to us wandering in circles as places began to close, before we finally decided on going to Heaven to see Kylie Minogue perform there. That took us to about 3:30 am before going to catch our bus out. Got to Nikhil's place around 4am.

Sun - As a result of jet lag and the long day before, ended up sleeping till about 3pm, before waking up, showering and then heading out with Nikhil to meet his girlfriend and some friends of theirs. Went out to the burbs and took a walk before getting to a pub in Cheswick to grab dinner then watch the world cup. Then after the game we returned to his place and passed out.

Mon - Woke up early, repacked bag to be more efficiently accessible before heading out. Took the tube to Southwark and then went to the Tate where I could check my luggage while also checking out art. Definitely a win. Saw the surveillance photography exhibit and part of the flux exhibit before meeting up with Sophie. Then took the overground out to Croydon, hopping on a bus to get back to the dealership and picking up the Land Rover which we then took out to Cambridge. Grabbed dinner and then hung out with Cath(erine) and Dave who we're staying with.

Tue - Woke up, had croissants for breakfast, ran an errand, uploaded photos, caught up in my travel journal, and now am chilling while Sophie runs around getting the vehicle and trailer registered for the trip. Eventually I should get some driving practice and we might be leaving as early as tomorrow. Shall update again when I can

Hope all is well with folks at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment