Wednesday 7 July 2010

I don't write down my opinions these days

It's actually rather sad, I noticed the other day flipping through my computer's documents, I don't write down my opinions these days. And that's problematic. Because sometime between entering UCSB and now, my line of reasoning has changed and I can't with certainty point to a piece of logic and say, "There it is!" And I can't chart the development/deterioration of thinking patterns.

On the plus side, I've read three books this week. Two Malcom Gladwell books (The Tipping Point and Blink) and one by John Wood (Leaving Microsoft to Change the World). I'm also over in England right now, and I read part of Outliers on the flight out here.

I'm about to travel across Europe and Central Asia, and I think I will be creating a blog/journal for the trip just to force me to record my reflections for my future self and the friends back home, but I haven't thought of a good name for it yet. I'll do that and get back to you later. On one hand, having my opinion online might be a liability should my perspective change too much, however as a recent college grad with her first big exploration of the world beyond the home and family (most of my international travel has been with the family...) I'm probably doing the same damn cliche growth patterns as most socially-liberal American travelers when stepping out of the bubble - and in hopes of beginning conversations with folks back home about said adventures/giving them reference points to ask about when I return - I hope to offer the opening for further dialog and reflections later. For that as I see it is the point of blogging - not just speaking to the void, but prompting face-to-face dialog and offering a foundation for such conversations. Wish me luck on my travels - and an open mind in all I encounter, for I can imagine nothing will serve me better.

No comments:

Post a Comment